Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sheesh, is that Cheese? Part 4

I'm working on a vegan Caprese salad. Relatively recently (can I use an adverb right after another?) I fell in l-o-v-e with the mozzarella Caprese, which is often referred to as a salad.

Pesto, basil, tomatoes and mozzarella? Are you kidding me? That's heaven! Caprese salad is one of the few ways I can enjoy balsamic vinegar, too.

However, I am cutting out dairy from my diet and so when I bought a block of Follow You Heart mozzarella, I had a light bulb of an idea. I found that I enjoyed the "mozzarella" when it was cold (I am still iffy about it's melting ability). I wanted an excuse to buy pesto (without anchovies, please!). I wanted to give balsamic vinegar another chance. So, here I am with a container of yummy goodness for lunch; I can deal with that!

This salad is pretty simple to arrange. I am not sure what I mean when I say that I am still working on it unless I am just referring to the serving style. Most Caprese salads like this are often fanned out or layered with a pattern of tomatoes, cheese, basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I did see a photo of a recipe where the tomatoes and cheese were cubed and tossed together.

Well, I guess that no matter how it looks, it all goes down the same, right? Aw, let's make it pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment