Thursday, April 1, 2010

A post about shoes.

I just got an email about a shoe donation drive and CBL malls (like Friendly Center) are participating in the drive for Earth Day. I just called Customer Service at Friendly Center but the office wasn't open, so here's the info I have.

Soles 4 Souls is a shoe donation drive coming up in the area. If you have shoes to donate, take them to Friendly Shopping Center, at Customer Service. The drive began over a week ago. Shoppers will be able to drop off their gently worn shoes during the month-long campaign which includes Earth Day. In exchange, Friendly Center is offering special discounts to stores such as Palm Avenue, Simple Meg's and Yankee Candle Co.


*****


I get it. I'm no fashionista but I get it: shoes are awesome. Functional, fun, fabulous, right?

I've gone through shoes phases for fashion, form and function: shoes for the house, shoes for work, shoes for recreation, shoes that can get wet without getting all...nasty...

I've got the high heels, the conservative (read: comfortable) heel, the heels I bought for one event and haven't worn them again. I have the pair of sneakers that were supposed to initiate my resolution to get more active. I've got the $5 pair of sneakers that I bought for the time being because I felt so bad that that first pair of sneakers is now four years old. I've got a pair of hiking boots that were almost as hard to purchase since I really didn't know what to look for. I've got a pair of rock climbing shoes that I bought way more than four years ago (and so, I had to beg my father to buy them for me since nay a job I had).

A few people criticize me because it seems like I have many pairs of shoes. Well, I don't think that that is the case. What one sees is the accumulation of shoes from years and years of trying to decide if I wear a size 8 or 8 1/2; what one sees is a pair that I bought for $40 next to a pair I bought for $10 over and over again; what one sees are the pairs of shoes that I got as gifts that had their practical uses...

Who buys shoes as gifts? I don't mean flip flops or anything like that...but, eh, I usually find uses for all gifts.

Anyhow, check out this presentation created by Sarah Embry, a student at at Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory. It is called "Soles4Soles" and, well, I can't think of an adjective to describe how I feel when I read the presentation. I guess that makes me a weak writer, a poor poet. It's...nice. I remember in middle school they told us that now, as older students, we had to move away from the word nice and take the initiative to discover new ways of describing life. So, I will move on to say that this was an intriguing presentation. I know intriguing is my fallback/cop-out word, but it just fits so often.

Though it probably detracts from the presentation I just linked to, I am now reminded of an old New York Times article on the topic of, yes, shoes. Check it out:

You Walk Wrong: How we’re wrecking it with every step we take.




No comments:

Post a Comment