Monday, March 8, 2010

I hate to be a hater, but...

If there is one business that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it's the Rush. Now, I know enough people that go there and that don't negatively comment on the experience and even without knowing those people, I can see that they have enough members to keep them afloat.

My experience, though, was...annoying, inconvenient, costly...and so, I got out.

I went to the Rush in the first place strategically/on a whim to sort of force myself into an exercise routine. Well, not force. I just wanted to be spontaneous, not think about it too much and just do it. Just walk through the door.

The Rush was a close and I guess safe place for me to go to get in gear to work out. Honestly, its proximity to where I live was probably the biggest factor in me choosing it as a gym. Also, as I told the--let's be real--salesman, I was choosing the Rush at the moment instead of any other gym because it had a climbing wall, which are few and far between in Greensboro.

I wanted to get out of my non-active rut but I also didn't want to fall into the work-out rut that I had at UNCG--socializing and trying my damned-est to read a (free) magazine while doing 35 minutes on the elliptical. Besides the random few-yer stint I had where I climbed the climbing wall almost compulsively (it was great), I didn't really move too much (does dancing at clubs count?).

At the Rush, with the orientation by the trainers, I knew a few more moves I could do to add to my workout routine. I still defaulted to the elliptical. I never used the sauna (bummer), the climbing wall paled in comparison to a climbing gym, and I finally felt like I was paying too much.

I was relatively paying too much because I chose to pay month-to-month. By the way, I caught the salesman trying to write me into a 2-year contract but my upside-down reading skills caught it before I signed without reading (which I may have done).

At the end of the day, I was just sick of looking for a gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment