Wednesday, January 13, 2010

We are on this Earth...together.

I know that in the current situation involving Haiti, action is more important than words.

Still, this situation just made me think of a thought that I've often had twirling in my head ever since, I suppose, I started my geography degree back in the day...

But, before I get to that, I'd just like to point out that I am not one to make sweeping hypotheticals concerning human nature e.g., "Can't we all just get along?" and "If women ran the world, there'd be no war."

In any case, I often think, Why do we humans waste so much time trying to fight each other when we have bigger and less discriminating things to worry about, like natural disasters?

Ok, now I'm done ignoring sociology or history or whatever it takes to describe the convolution of civilization.

I feel really, really bad about the earthquake in Haiti. That is a disaster. This event should have no lack of sympathy worldwide. I am watching the rescues unfold and am interested in what recovery will look like.

And, just to be pop-topical, there is nothing worth saying about Pat Robertson.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment