Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Baby Bumps and Something Blue

No, no life-changing events for me! Just cupcakes!



Yesterday, I finally got my TB skin test that I need for work (I mean, service!). It took no time sooooo I should have done it earlier but, hey, there ya go. Other than the receptionist yelling my PHI all over the place, I had a great time in the UNCG Immunization Clinic with its high volume of gossips mags (which Chris calls my secret addiction...well, thank goodness for Jezebel!). I read about all the bump-watch in Hollywood though I somehow knew that all those babies were already nacidos (beat that Spanglish, Latina Magazine!). Better late than never Hollywoodlicious gossip, right? Riiiiight.

Anyhow, after my skin test I decided to do something craaaaazy and get lunch somewhere that I wasn't familiar with, causing all kinds of lunch-time anxieties and potential for eater's remorse. I really wanted to coffee-shop-hop yesterday; I planned to try out The Coffee Break (or The Coffee Break, or The Coffee Break, or, OK that's enough) and Dolce Aroma Coffee Bar. I don't even drink coffee. And I dislike paying for a cup of tea. I do like pastries, though! That I do know.

I didn't make it to either establishment. First, I was worried that my driving time would be for nought going to The Coffee Break since I wanted something savory and wasn't sure if the place would have anything more than bags of chips or the Saran-wrapped Hogan's Groovy Gourmet and such that Tate St. Coffee (wow, new site to me!) has. Second, I didn't want to deal with parking (i.e., paying for or parallel parking) downtown, so I defaulted to cruising down to Friendly Center.

I always intend to check my PO Box down there but usually pass by when I see the jam-packed post-office parking lot on most weekdays. Good thing no one ever sends me mail (*whimper* except for bills from UNCG) or I'd miss something. I arbitrarily decided to pick up lunch at Cafe Carolina & Bakery. Well, the place does use the word cafe, so that satisfied my cafe-ing goal for the day. I usually scorn that place but I can't even remember why. I know I had been there just one time before yesterday, years ago. I think tht I thought it was too frou-frou and it has sort of a small-scale Mimi's-ish/Bravo!-ish/every other stamped restaurant-ish feeling to it. But, since my neon cupcake success this weekend, I had to see what these Cafe Blue cupcakes were all about.

I didn't know if I was getting breakfast, lunch or brunch.I was stunned by the many items on the menu once I got there, feeling pressured to order by the oh-so-attentive cashier though I admitted my ignorance and capriciously ordered, of course, a dairy-fied flatbread (hold the feta cheese(!) or as the cash register read, "no feta chz", whew!). Tsk, tsk, Aden, no cheese, remember?! Well, at $8 for just the flatbread, I was thinking that it better...better be worth it. I was actually given one of those buzzer things to let me know when my order would be ready; I thought, wait, this isn't going to take like 5 minutes??? I wasn't ready to wait! I awkwardly hung around the "bakery" (I put quotes around that word, if you didn't notice) and snooped around the somewhat limited selection of items for a marquee bakery. Almost right away I order a vanilla Cafe Blue cupcake. Professionally, as I am now a professional designer of neon-frosted cupcakes, I had to taste the competition. Personally, I felt like I was indulging in an ACC/NCAA/I don't even know about basketball Carolina Blue Carolina madness cupcake, which made me quite uncomfortable. But, Chris would have been proud.

I got my food seven years later after waiting in the pleasant dining set-up they have there at CC&B, watching people actually studying, chitchatting, and laptop-ing away. My buzzer thing (someone please help me name this device) scared the green tea out of me and I hurriedly snatched up my flatbread and shuffled out the restaurant to the safety of the dining room set-up in my car.

Can we say excessive packaging. Man, I felt like I had just come out of a Macy's or something.





The flatbread was surprisingly positively impressing. Boo on Olive Garden's flatbread, by the way. I had a slice while being confused by the dollop of sour cream in the middle, then decided to save room for the cupcake.

At least the packaging was recycled/recyclable. I don't mind your Cafe Blue if you let me think I'm being green.

And, yes, I did start this post at around 3:30AM. It's just before 4:30AM now and I'm getting sleepy again. I woke up at around 3 after falling asleep at, what, like 9PM, haha, and have I got a long day today. Well, at least I have written this post, updated my timesheet for April, and printed out my article for class this week. Now time to read it! Or not...


P.S. Rain, rain, go away!

No comments:

Post a Comment